News

GSD students win Bocconi Urban Campus competition

A team led by GSD students Stefano Andreani (MDesS ’13) and Federico de Molfetta (MDesS ’13) has won the Bocconi Urban Campus international competition with the “Bocconi Yard” project.

Team members included Chan Sik Youn (MArch I ’12), Lesley McTague (MArch I ’12), Hanna Tulis (MArch I ’12), Emmet Truxes (MArch I ’13), Tory Wolcott (MArch I ’12), Xing Xiong (MArch II ’12) and Karol Malik (MLA I ’14). Joan Busquets (Martin Bucksbaum professor in practice of urban planning and design) and Hashim Sarkis (Aga Khan professor of landscape architecture and urbanism in Muslim societies) were advisors to the project, along with Professor Manuel Heitor of the Instituto Superior Técnico of Lisbon.

The competition called for the design of a new campus comprising research, teaching, study, residential, recreation and sport areas for Bocconi University in Milan. The design had to reflect the cosmopolitan and innovative characteristics of the school and the avant-garde sensibility of the city. It had to demonstrate technological solutions for ensuring the buildings’ maximum sustainability, durability and adaptability over time.

The prestigious jury, which included Martha Thorne, director of the Pritzker Prize, and Dejan Sudjic, director of the London Design Museum, lauded the GSD team’s skill and dynamism in managing the requirements, restrictions and values of the Bocconi University client. Their selection of the GSD project was based on its superiority in meeting demands at a functional, experiential and social level and engaging with the existing urban and university fabric.

The jury particularly appreciated the technological sophistication shown in the plan and its representation. The design was deemed highly effective with regard to environmental sustainability, with technical solutions for the buildings’ exteriors produced by the GSD’s Design Robotics Group.