News

Toyo Ito named 2013 Pritzker Laureate

Architecture is bound by various social constraints. I have been designing architecture bearing in mind that it would be possible to realize more comfortable spaces if we are freed from all the restrictions even for a little bit. However, when one building is completed, I become painfully aware of my own inadequacy, and it turns into energy to challenge the next project. Probably this process must keep repeating itself in the future.
Therefore, I will never fix my architectural style and never be satisfied with my works. -Toyo Ito
The Hyatt Foundation announced that Toyo Ito will be the recipient of the 2013 Pritzker Architecture Prize. The Tokyo-based architect has recently taught studios on post-tsunami reconstruction and temporary housing at the GSD. He is recognized for producing an outstanding body of work that combines conceptual innovation with superbly executed buildings.
Toyo Ito The ceremony for what has come to be known throughout the world as architecture’s highest honor will be held for the first time at the John F. Kennedy Library (designed by another Pritzker laureate, I. M. Pei, former assistant professor of design at GSD) in Boston on May 29—JFK’s birthday.
Learn more about the Pritzker Prize and Toyo Ito.
Photo of Sendai Mediatheque, Miyagi, Japan, by Tomio Ohashi
Photo of Toyo Ito by Yoshiaki Tsutsui