The Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts has announced its 2013 Grants to Individuals, and 7 of the 60 awards this year are going to GSD faculty and alums. The grants of up to $15,000 are given to architects, scholars, writers, artists, designers, curators, and others to support publications, exhibitions, films, new media initiatives, public programs, and research that explore innovative and bold ideas in architecture and design.
The GSD grantees:
- Pierre Bélanger (associate professor of landscape architecture) for his publication Landscape of Defense: Military Geographies and Altitudes of Urbanization
- Sonja Dümpelmann (associate professor of landscape architecture) for her book Flights of Imagination: Powered Aviation and the Art and Science of Landscape Design and Planning
- Rosetta Sarah Elkin (lecturer, 2013 GSD Daniel Urban Kiley Fellow in Landscape Architecture) for her research “Cultivating Scale: Planting the Desert”
- Florian Idenburg (adjunct associate professor of architecture) and David Van Der Leer for their publication GUT
- Mohsen Mostafavi (Dean and professor of design) for his book Nicholas Hawksmoor: London Churches
- Lluis Ortega (former assistant professor of architecture) and Ciro Najle for their publication Suprarural Architecture: Atlas of Rural Protocols of the American Midwest and the Argentinean Pampas
- Neyran Turan (DDes ’09) for her research “Whole-Worlds: Mathias Ungers in the United States, 1968–1976”
Image: St. George Church Bloomsbury, designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor; photo by Martin Klussman.