Design education fosters innovation, experimentation, and speculation in its students. The GSD is committed to inspiring our students to solve problems, activate knowledge, and make a difference within society and across the globe. Your gift to the GSD directly contributes to the training of 21st century design leaders and helps ensure the future of the design disciplines. Read a special letter from 2013 Pritzker Prize winner Toyo Ito about the value of your support.
To give online, visit our secure online giving page. If you would prefer to mail your gift, please make your check payable to the Harvard Graduate School of Design and direct it to:
Graduate School of Design
c/o Office of the Recording Secretary
124 Mount Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
To make your gift by phone, call 617-495-1750.
We offer many ways for you to support the GSD:
- Josep Lluís Sert Council for Annual Leadership Giving
- 2013 Graduating Students Drive
- Planned Giving
- Additional Giving Opportunities
The 2011-2012 Donor Report acknowledges with gratitude our donors who made gifts between July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012. Remember to make your gift this year, and appear on our 2012-2013 donor report.
JOSEP LLUÍS SERT COUNCIL for annual leadership giving launched in the fall of 2011. Sert Council recognizes those alumni and friends whose generosity has made a deep impact on the GSD, our students, and the future of design.
Josep Lluís Sert, GSD faculty member and dean from 1953-1969, was a globally recognized architect and teacher whose unique perspective on cross disciplinary training has become a hallmark of our school. He initiated the world’s first degree program in urban design at the GSD. We intend to honor his legacy with the formation of our new society. It is our hope that Sert Council leaders will build on this legacy by helping us create opportunities for innovative teaching and a school environment that produces nothing less than design excellence.
To honor and involve our inner circle of alumni and friends, we’ve held a series of events ranging from private cocktail receptions with professors to exclusive gallery talks. Last year’s events included:
- Cocktail reception and private viewing of Lightfall: Herta and Paul Amir Building at Tel Aviv Museum of Art, hosted by GSD Department of Architecture Chair Professor Preston Scott Cohen and held at Gund Gallery in Cambridge
- Private reception with Professor Preston Scott Cohen before his talk Museum as Genealogy at the Harvard Club of New York
- Reception with GSD Department of Landscape Architecture Chair Charles Waldheim and Professor Anita Berrizbeitia before their talk at a private viewing of the new Renzo Piano wing of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston
- Private champagne toast with Dean Mohsen Mostafavi and gallery tour at the Hammer Musem, Harvard Design Alumni & Friends Weekend in Los Angeles, November 2012.
- Presentation by Harry Macklowe on 432 Park Avenue in NYC, the tallest residential building in the western hemisphere, designed by Rafael Vinoly, March 2013
It is the GSD’s goal to salute our inner circle of donors by engaging the Council in the life of the GSD. We look forward to expanding our program throughout the year, and to having you join us as a member.
- Gifts of $1,000+
- Degree program graduates in the classes of 2004-2008, gifts of $250+
- Degree program graduates in the classes of 2009-2013, gifts of $100+
Planned giving offers strategies that allow you to enhance your financial objectives, provide for your family, and to be generous to Harvard’s Graduate School of Design at the same time.
Planned gifts can—
• Provide a predictable income for life for you and family members
• Generate a charitable tax deduction for a portion of your gift
• Help you avoid upfront capital gains taxes and save on gift/estate taxes
• Allow you to benefit from the expert investment management performance of Harvard Management Company at no cost to you
• Permit you to provide a much larger gift to the GSD than you might have thought possible
Alumni and friends who have made planned and estate gifts for Harvard’s Graduate School of Design are welcomed as members of the H. Langford Warren Society, a group of one hundred alumni and friends.
The society is named for H. Langford Warren, founding Dean of Harvard’s School of Architecture and President of the Society of Arts and Crafts. Warren was an important link in the chain of individuals who contributed to the architectural practice, theories of design, and the teaching of architectural history in the United States at the turn of the twentieth century.
Just as Warren fostered a close collaboration with the craftsmen who enhanced his buildings, members of the H. Langford Warren Society collaborate with the GSD today to ensure tomorrow’s future.
Benefits of membership include invitations to exclusive events and recognition in donor rolls and select GSD publications.
Alumni and friends of the GSD have varied interests, and the GSD offers an array of specific programs and activities that require support. We welcome the opportunity to discuss your specific philanthropic goals or interests with you. For further information, contact Beth Kramer, Associate Dean for Development and Alumni Relations.
Please contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone at 617-495-4315 with additional questions.