GSD Course Bulletin - Spring 2014 - SCI-06328-00
06328: In Search of Design through Engineers (SCI 0632800)
Lecture - 4 credits
Monday 10:00 - 1:00 Gund 109
Hanif Kara, Andreas Georgoulias
This course aims to teach, stimulate and demonstrate "design led" opportunities that exist in the zone between Architecture and Engineering, through the paradigm of Design Engineering. Positioned within the space of interdisciplinary boundaries, the course invites both GSD and MIT students to encourage and pioneer a joint, interdisciplinary discourse.
Eight high profile projects, won as design competitions and subsequently constructed, act as the platform to expand the thinking on:
- Pioneering technical solutions;
- Establishing a variety of aesthetic positions; and
- Exploring transformational research in both design methodologies and technological developments.
The course structure covers a broad spectrum of architectural approaches that allow students to respond to each unique derivative position, from concept to construction. Through substantial and unpublished original material, students will engage with the early conceptual stages through to the detailed design process and construction.
Case studies will be studied in pairs, with each module lasting 4-5 sessions. Through fast design exercises, analysis, interaction and team work, students will become part of the project team in the most critical design decisions. Student team projects will be assigned for each module and present their analyses in class. During the course, several project architect(s) from the cases will participate in the discussion. A final paper/ design project will conclude the course.
- Ravensbourne college (FOA),
- 2010 Shanghai Expo UK Pavilion (Heatherwick),
- Heydar Aliyev Cultural Centre (Zaha Hadid)
- Turner Contemporary Museum (David Chipperfield Architects);
- MSU Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum (Zaha Hadid)
- 240 Blackfriars London (Allford Hall Monaghan Morris) - plus introduction to White Collar Factory
- Phaeno Centre (Zaha Hadid)
- Various UK 2012 Olympics projects.
The course will meet in accordance with the academic calendar, once per week during the semester.
GSD iCommons Website