Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the Financial Aid application deadline?

A: Admissions applicants for entrance in fall of 2015 should submit their Financial Aid application by February 6, 2015. The application for Financial Aid should be completed following submission of the application for Admission.

Q: What happens if I apply for aid after the deadline?

A: Late applications may be subject to processing delays. In addition, some sources of aid such as federal Perkins Loans are limited, so timely applications are encouraged.

Q: What are the SAR and the ISIR?

A: These two items are responses from the federal government regarding the information you submitted on your FAFSA. The SAR is the Student Aid Report which is a multi-page, color document which verifies that the information was accurately received. You may also use the SAR to make corrections. The ISIR is the Institutional Student Information Record and is an electronic version of the SAR. The school receives the ISIR automatically provided that you indicated the correct federal school code on the last page of your FAFSA (EE00212).

Q: What is the school code for use on the FAFSA?
A: the Federal School Code for the Harvard University Graduate School of Design is EE00212.

Q: I do not want to take all the loans which were offered to me. What should I do?

A: Please indicate on the "Accept Awards" tab in the online financial aid program which loans you would like to accept, decline, or reduce. Type in any reduced amounts to accept that amount.

Q: I have prior educational loans. Do I have to make payments on those while I am attending the GSD?

A: Not usually, if it's a federal loan. Because you will be in school, you should qualify for loan payment deferment. Harvard participates in a national clearinghouse program that updates lenders with student enrollment dates. However, if your lender requires it, you should contact your lender to obtain a deferment form which will be completed and mailed from our Registrar's office after you have officially registered.

Q: I have not yet filed my income taxes for the year. Should I wait to complete my application materials?

A: No. You may list estimated information in order to get your awards processed in a timely manner. Once the return has been filed, please forward a copy to the Financial Aid Office and your records will be updated accordingly.

Q: Can I receive any money from my aid before the school year begins?

A: No. Federal regulations do not allow students to receive refunds from their aid until the student has officially registered for classes.

Q: Must I reapply for financial aid every year?

A: Yes.

Resources: Financial Aid: FAQs

Content is loading...
Parent Page