Types of Aid

The following are descriptions of awards that may be offered to students at the GSD:

Harvard Restricted Scholarships

The Harvard University Committee on General Scholarships (CGS) administers various university-wide grant funds both for US and international students. The CGS website will take you through a series of steps to see if you meet the selection criteria for any of the scholarships that are available (The Lehman, Starr and Thayer Scholarships are awarded by GSD staff and/or faculty, and therefore students do not apply for them). Additional information can be found on the Applying for Restricted Scholarships page.

GSD Grant

Grant funds are awarded on a two-tier system based on need. The Tier 1 grant is based solely on the student's financial information. In order to be considered for more substantial Tier 2 grant, students must provide parental information.

Federal Work-Study

The Work-Study Program provides government funds for a portion of a student's salary, making it easier for students to find part-time work during school. Please review Student Employment for more details.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans:

Unsubsidized (Stafford Loan)

The total amount of Unsubsidized Stafford loan a full-time graduate student may borrow in one academic year is $20,500. 

GradPLUS Direct Loan

Based on the Parent Loan for undergraduate students, the GradPLUS loan is for students at the graduate level. Approval is based on a light credit check. Students may borrow the difference between their budget and other awarded aid. You must apply for the GradPlus loan separately from other federal aid. Application information will be available in the summer months. 

US Veteran's Association Yellow Ribbon Program

GSD applicants who also qualify for post-9/11 veterans benefits may choose to take advantage of the Yellow Ribbon Program instead of need-based aid. If you are an eligible veteran and plan to enroll at the GSD, please contact the GSD Financial Aid Office to notify the school of your interest in the program, as enrollment is limited. We will ask you to submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to GSD Aid Office prior to the start of the academic year.

More information is also available on the federal government website:

Additional Aid Options

Private Alternative Loans

Outside Scholarships

Resources: Financial Aid: Types of Aid

Content is loading...
Parent Page