Paola Viganò, architect and urbanist, is Full Professor in Urbanism at Università IUAV of Venice, and has been a visiting professor in several schools of architecture, including KU Leuven and Louvain-la-Neuve Belgium; EPFL Lausanne, Switzerland; Aarhus, Denmark; and Visiting Assistant Professor at Harvard University GSD. Paola is coordinator of the PhD in Urbanism at IUAV and is among the founders of the European Postgraduate Master in Urbanism EMU - a joint program among UPC Barcelona, TU Delft, KU Leuven, Università IUAV, Venezia. In 2013 she served as Chaire Francqui at the UCL of Louvain la Neuve (Belgium), and recently received the Grand Prix de l’Urbanisme et de l’Art Urbain.
In 1990 she founded Studio together with Bernardo Secchi, which has won several international competitions. Among the realized projects are the park Spoornoord and Theaterplein in Antwerp, a system of public spaces in Mechelen, the cemetery in Courtrai, and public spaces in La Courrouze, Renne. Studio is today working on different projects throughout Europe. In 2009 and 2012 Secchi and Viganò were one of the 10 teams selected for the “Grand Paris project” and for the “New Moscow.”
- Viganò P., 1999, La città elementare, Milano: Skira
- Viganò P., 2001, ed. Territories of a New Modernity, Napoli: Electa
- Secchi B., Viganò P., 2009, Antwerp. Territory of a new Modernity, Amsterdam: SUN
- Secchi B., Viganò P., 2011, La ville poreuse, Geneva: MetisPresses
- Viganò P., 2010, I territori dell’urbanistica – Il progetto come produttore di conoscenza, Roma: Officina (French translation: Les Territoires de l’urbanisme, Geneva: MetisPresses, 2012).