A candidate will be recommended for the Master of Architecture in Urban Design upon satisfactory completion of the following course of study.
Current students should refer to the Current MAUD/MLAUD Degree Requirements based on their date of matriculation.
- 0 units GSD 1221 Preterm Workshop (August)
- 8 units GSD 1221 Elements of Urban Design – Core Studio
- 4 units GSD 5210 Cities by Design I
- 4 units GSD 9630 Proseminar: Defining Urban Design
- 4 units Courses in required subject areas and/or electives*
- 8 units GSD 1500 Urban Planning and Design Option Studio
- 4 units GSD 5211 Cities by Design II
- 8 units Courses in required subject areas and/or electives*
- 20 units Five courses satisfying required subject areas and/or electives**
- 20 units Five courses satisfying required subject areas and/or electives** (This option is contingent upon successful completion of an option studio in the fall term of the second year.)
* Distribution Requirements: Students must take a total of three courses in the two subject areas: Models of Development and Urban Systems and Form. At least one course must be taken in each category. If a course appears on both lists, it may be used for either list, but may not be counted more than once. The official list of courses meeting these distribution requirements is updated at the start of each semester.
** MAUD candidates may petition out of up to one studio option in the second year. Students who elect to pursue a thesis instead of studio in the spring term of second year may not petition to opt out of studio in the fall term.
*** Candidates pursuing a thesis must complete the Preparation of Design Thesis Proposal course in the fall, or petition for an alternative. Candidates pursuing a thesis in the spring must complete a studio in the fall.