For those Architecture degree students required to take Calculus and/or Physics, please read the Architecture Department's policy below regarding options for completing the course.
Architecture Department Policies
1) PROOF OF PRIOR COURSE WORK:
- a) If you believe that you may have completed one or both of these prerequisites with previous course work, upload documentation through the link on your application status page by April 22, 2019.
- b) In order for a course to be evaluated, the documentation must include a course description and syllabus along with a transcript that includes the course. A grade of B‐ or above must be achieved. The documentation will be reviewed by the Architecture Department and a decision will be communicated via email. Any updates also will appear on your application status page.
2) ENROLLING IN PREREQUISITE COURSES: You may enroll in online or traditional‐classroom courses via the following options:
- a) Enroll in an online summer course that has been pre-approved by the GSD. The applicant must upload proof of enrollment in the course no later than May 1, 2019. A grade of B‐or better is required. An official transcript, sent directly from the institution to the GSD, must be received by the GSD no later than August 15, 2019. Please note that many online courses require a mandatory 90‐day course period so be sure to enroll early. Also, many courses require mandatory waiting periods between assignments and exams, so please plan accordingly and realize that the schedule/topics are often incapable of compression or acceleration.
- b) Enroll in a summer course of your choice (online or traditional‐classroom), but such a course requires approval. For approval, applicants must upload a course description and/or syllabus to the GSD by April 22, 2019. Upon approval, the applicant must submit proof of enrollment in the course no later than May 1, 2019. A grade of B‐ or better is required. An official transcript, sent directly from the institution to the GSD, must be received by the GSD no later than August 15, 2019.
While online courses work well for some students, the format is not necessarily the best for all students. Please evaluate and consider your learning style when signing up for a course.
Should an admitted student not fulfill the prerequisite(s) prior to the fall semester per the options defined above, the student may have her or his admission rescinded and not be allowed to enroll at the GSD.
To fulfill the calculus requirement, students must complete an introductory calculus course, such as Calculus I. Prerequisite courses may be taken at any accredited college or university.
If you have taken a prior course that will satisfy this prerequisite, submit this prerequisite approval form.
Alternatively, you may wish to take the course online, below is a list of approved online calculus courses. There is no need to submit a prerequisite approval form for these classes. Simply sign up and send us your enrollment confirmation.
To fulfill the physics requirement, students must complete an algebra-based introductory physics course intended for science majors. If you have taken a prior course that will satisfy this prerequisite, submit this prerequisite approval form.
History of Architecture
If you have been admitted with the condition that you must satisfy the architectural history prerequisite (as indicated on your online application status page), you have several options for completing this requirement.
You may provide us with a syllabus of any course(s) already taken or currently in progress that you believe satisfies the requirement. Materials should be submitted online by April 22, 2019. If approved, a grade of B- or above must be achieved and an official transcript sent directly to the GSD from the institution by August 15, 2019. Please note that it is necessary to fulfill this requirement in order to be allowed to register in the fall.
You may take the GSD’s online course The Architectural Imagination. The registration link is accessible via the Arch History checklist item located on your GSD Status Portal. Please enroll no later than May 1, 2019. There will be additional instructions regarding submission of assignments once enrollment confirmation is received. Additional required written assignments and required on-site discussions with a GSD instructor and participants will be scheduled for early August during the Architecture Core Prep week (details TBD).
You may enroll in a course(s) at any accredited school or college, for credit, achieve a grade of B- or above, and provide us with an official transcript by August 15, 2019. Such a course or courses require prior approval. For approval of any course you plan to take, please click on the checklist requirement for instructions on how to request review of a proposed course by April 22, 2019. Upon approval, applicants must submit proof of enrollment in the course no later than May 1, 2019.