All students required or encouraged to take a particular course will have been notified to do so on their online application status page. Please click on the checklist requirement for history of the built environment, visual studies, or environmental science on your application status page for instructions on how to request review of a previous or proposed course.
Master in Landscape Architecture students (MLA I and MLA I AP)
If your application status page indicates that a course in environmental science, visual arts, and/or history of the built environment is required, here are guidelines:
- One semester of environmental science. May be fulfilled with biology, ecology, geology, or botany courses.
- One semester of visual arts. We strongly recommend drawing.
- One semester of the history of the built environment. We recommend taking an architectural history course.
You may enroll in online or traditional-classroom courses. For approval, please submit a course description and/or syllabus to the GSD by April 21. Upon approval, the applicant must submit proof of enrollment in the course no later than May 1. A grade of B- or better is required. An official transcript, sent directly from the institution to the GSD, must be received by the GSD no later than August 15.
Pre-approved online environmental science course:
Pre-approved history of the built environment courses:
Pre-approved visual arts course:
- Academy of Art University: LAN 193 Landscape Drawing & Drafting
- Type “LAN 193” in the search bar
If you received a decision regarding course descriptions that you submitted and you have additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.