If your application status page indicates that a course in environmental science, visual arts, and/or history of the built environment is required, here are guidelines:
- One semester of environmental science. May be fulfilled with biology, ecology, geology, or botany courses.
- One semester of visual arts. We strongly recommend drawing.
- One semester of the history of the built environment. We recommend taking an architectural history course.
You can petition the Landscape Architecture department to reevaluate your prior coursework to see if you have satisfied the requirements. Below are the prerequisite approval forms for each requirement.
Alternatively, you may enroll in online or traditional-classroom courses. Below is a list of pre-approved courses. These courses do not require an approval form. However, if you wish to enroll in a course not listed here, you must submit a course description and/or syllabus to the GSD by April 22. Upon approval, you must submit a proof of enrollment in the course no later than May 1. A grade of B- or better is required. An official transcript, sent directly from the institution to the GSD, must be received by the GSD no later than August 15.
Pre-approved online environmental science course:
Pre-approved history of the built environment courses:
Pre-approved visual arts course:
- Academy of Art University: LAN 193 Landscape Drawing & Drafting
- Type “LAN 193” in the search bar