Each year, an internship opportunity with the Renzo Piano Building Workshop (RPBW) is available for one GSD student. Under the tutelage of a senior architect, the intern will spend approximately six months at the RPBW offices in either Paris, France or Genoa, Italy (location varies by year). The internship involves a combination of work and study, including practical training, seminars, and documentation.
The internship is open to MArch I and MArch I AP students who have completed the Architecture Core Studio sequence but have not yet begun their thesis semester. International students must ensure whether they are eligible to travel and work in Europe before applying.
A one-semester leave of absence is required to participate in the internship. No GSD credit is given for the internship.
The Spring 2019 Peter Rice Internship at RPBW takes place in Genoa, Italy from February 25-August 2, 2019.
The Renzo Piano Workshop Foundation will provide a stipend of €8,500 (paid in two installments) , a €554 monthly housing stipend, and a daily lunch ticket on weekdays.
Applications for the spring 2019 internship should be submitted digitally to the department by September 30, 2018, and should include:
- A digital portfolio no longer than 30 pages.
- A 1-2 page letter of interest that addresses the prompts below:
- Statement of your academic interests and research at the GSD.
- Usefulness of the internship to further develop your work and interests.
- Description of your professional experience and background and how the internship will enable you to pursue and develop your professional goals.
- Please be sure to mention if you are proficient in the Italian language (proficiency in Italian is preferred, however fluency in English is sufficient to work at RPBW).
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV).
Please contact the department for more information regarding the logistics of application submission.
A jury of Architecture Department faculty will nominate one candidate from among the applicants. The nominated student will be notified by October 5, 2018, following which they will be guided through a secondary application process with RPBW.