The GSD is pleased to present a series of talks and webinars broadcast to our audiences via Zoom.
Equitable development, a relatively new concept in planning and community development, aims to help low-income neighborhoods and communities of color become places that provide economic opportunities, affordable living, and cultural expression for all residents. It is built on the principle that current residents will play a central role in shaping the projects, programs, and policies that affect them and their community.
However lofty its goals, achieving equitable development is complicated and challenging, particularly in this time of social and economic turmoil. In this half-day virtual symposium, leading practitioners and scholars from three cities, Washington, DC, Detroit, and Boston, will explore efforts to bring equitable development to their communities and outline how they are responding to current challenges. The presentations and discussions will help students, scholars, community leaders, public officials, and others identify innovative strategies and successful approaches to advancing social justice in low-income neighborhoods and communities of color.
Join the conversation on Twitter with #EquitableDevelopment.
Co-sponsored by the Joint Center for Housing Studies, the GSD Department of Urban Planning and Design, and the Loeb Fellowship
Speakers will include:
- Darnell Adams, EDM '00, Vice President of Program Implementation, Invest Detroit
- Maureen Anway, Associate, Neighborhoods, Invest Detroit
- Diane Clark, Associate Director of Real Estate Development, Nuestra Communidad
- Sheldon Clark, Board Member, Douglass Community Land Trust
- Kimberly Driggins, LF '16, Executive Director, Washington Housing Conservancy; 2015-2016 Loeb Fellow
- Angie M. Gates, Director, District of Columbia, Office of Cable Television, Film, Music and Entertainment
- Marc Norman, LF '15, Associate Professor of Practice in Urban and Regional Planning, Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning, University of Michigan; 2014-2015 Loeb Fellow
- Vaughn Perry, Equitable Development Manager, Building Bridges Across the River
- Jermaine R. Ruffin, Development Director-West Region, Detroit Department of Housing and Revitalization
- Dana Whiteside, Deputy Director for Community Economic Development, Boston Planning and Development Agency
- Alex Krieger, MCU ’77, Professor Emeritus in Practice of Urban Design, Interim Chair of the Department of Urban Planning and Design, GSD
- David Luberoff, MPA '89, Deputy Director, Joint Center for Housing Studies
- Lily Song, RAE '17, Lecturer in Urban Planning and Design, GSD
- Norman Stembridge, Co-Chair, Roxbury Strategic Master Plan Oversight Committee
- Alexander von Hoffman, AM '81, PHD '86, Senior Research Fellow, Joint Center for Housing Studies; Lecturer in Urban Planning and Design, GSD
- Sarah Whiting, Dean and Josep Lluís Sert Professor of Architecture, GSD
How to Join
The event will also be live streamed to the GSD's YouTube page. Only viewers who are attending the lecture via Zoom will be able to submit questions for the Q+A.
Anyone requiring accessibility accommodations should contact the events office at (617) 496-2414 or email@example.com.