What is VPN?
Virtual Private Networking (VPN) facilitates secure remote computing by providing access to the GSD network which would otherwise be shielded by our firewall. With an active VPN connection you can run software that is network licensed and you can access file repositories that would normally be inaccessible, like GOLIATH. (Your remote internet service / data plan must be obtained separately and is a pre-requisite for VPN).
Harvard’s VPN Service is automatically activated for all GSD Students and will remain active until you are no longer a GSD Student. There is no need to sign-up. Please contact the Help Desk (617-496-3810) if you require any assistance. The Help Desk is located in L19 in the lower level of the Frances Loeb Library.
VPN Download and Installation Steps:
1. Open your browser and go to the following URL: https://vpn.harvard.edu
2. At the login screen you will be prompted to authenticate. Enter your VPN Credentials (HarvardKey login name followed by “#gsd” e.g. email@example.com#gsd) and your HarvardKey password and your two-step verification passcode. Press ‘Continue’ to accept the terms.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the software.
4. After the installation, you may launch AnyConnect VPN from your Start menu (Windows) or Applications folder if you are on OSX
5. Once launched, make sure “vpn.harvard.edu” is entered in the ‘Connect’ dialog box. Next, you will be prompted for your VPN Credentials in conjunction with two-step verification (same as Step 2 above).
You’ve successfully logged into VPN but cannot access internal resources like Goliath or checkout software licenses. Double check that you appended ‘#gsd‘ to your HarvardKey Login name in the authentication box. You can connect successfully to VPN without this, however you will not be able to access GSD resources.