New students' permanent photo IDs are released during the week of orientation. Students need to upload a photo to the ID Office during the summer months in order for the ID to be ready at Orientation.  Follow the instructions on the Harvard Campus Service Center website on how to submit your photo and obtain your ID.  You will need to log in using your new HarvardKey in order to access this site

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if I lose or misplace my card?
You should log on to the ID card application and report the card as lost.  By doing so, you will deactivate the card, which means your Crimson Cash will not be used by somebody who might have stolen or found your card.

How do I get a replacement card?
Go to the Campus Service Center, located on the 8th floor of the Smith Center, and fill out a Card Replacement form. There is a charge for the replacement of lost ID cards. The fee will be waived if you present a copy of a police report indicating that the card was stolen within 30 days of the theft.

What happens when my ID expired/is expiring soon?
Go to the Campus Service Center, located on the 8th floor of the Smith Center, and pick up a new card. There is no fee associated with replacing an expired ID card.

What does it mean when the last digit on my ID card changes?
The last digit changes each time you request a replacement card.

What happens to my card if I withdraw from the GSD?
You must turn in your card to Student Services. Your ID number, computer account, and access to the building will be disabled.

What happens to my card when I take a Leave of Absence?
Students on leave do not have an active ID card and access to the building is disabled.

How can I gain access to the Loeb Design Library while I am on leave?
You can use Loeb Library's resources onsite for no fee (does not include borrowing privileges) while you are on leave by getting an access card at the circulation desk. If you will be returning to graduate from the GSD and you have research or course work to complete while on leave that requires you to borrow library materials, you may purchase Loeb Library privileges at the alumni rate of $50 for 4 months or $125 for a year. A “Frances Loeb Library Special Borrower” picture ID will be issued. This card is non-transferable and valid only at the Loeb Library.

If you need access to Widener Library, you should go to the Privileges Office, Room 195, which is on the immediate left after entering the main entrance to the library. Bring some form of identification with you (i.e. a driver's license or passport). If you have been registered for at least one semester, you qualify for Alumni Privileges which are: 6 days of stacks free and 6 borrowed books free of charge; then $25/3 months or $100/year.