Spring 2022 Update: As per the Dean's email on January 14, until further notice, in-person attendance at public events, including reviews, is restricted to HUID holders only. Exceptions will be granted on a case-by-case basis, and anyone seeking an exception may contact Trevor O’Brien (Manager of Building Services and Director of Security) at email@example.com. Until February 7th, the current Omicron surge forces us to revert to our previous policy prohibiting eating in GSD buildings, except in individual offices with the door closed. As with all COVID-related planning, these policies are, of course, subject to change.
Please familiarize yourself with the information below.
- For all programs and events happening outside the context of a particular class, a SERT reservation is still required. Please submit the form entitled “Spring 2022, GSDNow Event Proposal Form.”
- The SERT location for all virtual event reservations is called “GSD Virtual Event Space;” physical campus spaces are listed in SERT according to their room number or name.
- Only one event or program will be allowed to take place at any given time.
- The Events Committee will continue to meet weekly, on Thursdays, to review and approve event requests.
- 6:30 PM start times or later are required for evening programs
- Find ways to partner your events with other departments, faculty, or student groups in order to increase attendance and decrease the overall number of programs
To make sure your needs can be met, request your reservation as soon as possible. It is strongly recommended that requests are submitted at least one month prior to your desired event date. Before submitting a request, please double-check the GSD Public Lecture Series schedule and significant dates on the Academic Calendar to make sure your proposed event does not conflict.
To Plan An Event—Five Steps
- Make sure that you have access to a SERT account
SERT is the online room scheduling system at the GSD. If you have questions about your status, contact Building Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit a request via SERT
Request Events via the “Spring 2022, GSDNow Event Proposal Form.” Your request must include your desired dates (1st and 2nd choices), chosen physical room and/or virtual platform (Zoom, Remo, etc.), format (lecture, panel, symposium, etc.), media services needs, and who the event participants will be (names and brief descriptions). Please note that some requests may have associated media charges. To ensure the timely review of your event, you must fully complete the questions posed by the SERT request system.
- Wait for a confirmation email
The Events Committee, which includes representatives from Communications, Building Services, Media Services, and the Office of Student Affairs, meets once per week to review public event proposals from staff, faculty, and students. This is why it is strongly recommended to request space as early as possible—ideally a month in advance. Do not proceed with plans (finalizing your date, advertising your event) until you’ve received confirmation via SERT. Keep in mind that even if a space is available, there may be other reasons an event might not be allowed to take place or might need to find a new date or time. Conflicts with the GSD Public Lecture Series or significant dates on the Academic Calendar are not allowed. In the event that the Committee is not able to confirm a request, the Committee will work with the requester to find an alternative solution.
- Receive confirmation or an offer to select an alternate date/time
An email giving approval or recommending modifications will be sent within 2 weeks of the receipt of your request. The events committee currently meets on Tuesdays.
- Finalize your event OR revise your request and resubmit
Only after receiving a confirmation should you finalize preparations for the event. To avoid confusion, please do not give your guests final dates and times until you have received the confirmation email. Once you have received confirmation of the date and time, please go back into your SERT reservation to complete any remaining information (which is especially necessary, if you want your event to appear on GSD Now), AND ask your department administrator to add your event to the “GSD – Community Calendar” in Microsoft Outlook.
*Event organizers should secure the staffing required to make their event a success. The Public Programs Office provides event planning guidance but its staff are not available to staff your events.
*If you would like your event considered for inclusion in the “Happening This Week” emails sent every Monday morning, please submit your event to GSD Now no later than 4:00 PM on the Thursday of the preceding week. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about submitting to GSD Now.
Questions about reserving space should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions about this process, please contact your department administrator.