Students are paired with someone invested in their success based on shared interests—a person ready to listen, inspire, help navigate challenges, and recognize opportunities. Students will learn what to expect in school, how to approach challenges and gain career advice and valuable insights while mentors will build their networks and develop skills to become better professionals and leaders.
Eligible participants (students and alumni) will receive an invitation from the GSD, followed by communication(s) from our technology partner: Mentor Collective.
Registration, Matching, and Expectations:
- Registered participants will be matched each academic year, beginning in the fall and ending in May.
- Students are matched with alumni and/or peer mentors based on common interests, backgrounds, academics, and professional aspirations. To get started, students and mentors register and complete an online survey to assess personality and experience.
- Mentors and mentees are free to meet and communicate as often as they choose, but they are expected to log conversations on the mentoring platform during the formal academic year program.
- Participants may use the platform’s discussion guides and goal-setting activities to help prepare for conversations with their mentors and other professionals.
- Matching of mentee and mentor begins several weeks after registration.
- The program spans the academic year, beginning in the fall and ending in May.
- After being matched, determine together what timing works best for you. We encourage mentees to speak with their mentor at least once a month, but anything more than that is up to both of you. Most mentors spend between 1 and 3 hours a month per mentee.
- Students will begin registering and completing their matching surveys in August. Initial matches begin in late summer/early fall.
- Early participation in the program is encouraged to get the most benefit, but mentees and mentors can register and be matched at any time during the academic year.
- Once the formal program ends in May, we encourage you to stay connected!