Job Search and Opportunities for Urban Planning and Design Students
Seek out career information well before graduation:
- Take advantage of Career Services offerings including but not limited to advising, events, and CREATE.
- Utilize your time here to cultivate relationships within the GSD community: alumni, fellow students, faculty, visiting speakers, networking events, and GSD Alumni Council events.
- Seek out ways to supplement your academic studies with experience: involvement with student clubs (across Harvard), summer internships, or the Community Service Fellowship.
- Join our vast network of current students and alumni via mentorship, GSD LinkedIn Group, or other avenues available to the Harvard Community.
Organizations both big and small worldwide are interested in GSD students and alumni. Landscape architecture training brings a wealth of knowledge and transferable skills outside of traditional practice to many industries including but not limited to consulting, planning, government, higher education, non-profits, and beyond.
What are the key skills UPD students develop?
- Community outreach/meeting facilitation
- GIS skills
- Public speaking/presentations
Which industries hire UPD graduates?
- Landscape architecture, architecture, planning firms
- Higher education
What types of jobs do UPD grads pursue?
- Development Manager, real estate
- Project Manager, economic development
- Planner, city government
- Planner, consulting
- Associate Planner, urban consulting
- Research Associate, international urban development nonprofit Founder, international NGO
- Project Planner and Analyst, nonprofit
- Planner, multidisciplinary design firm
- Consultant, Urban Planning & Development firm
- Architect/Urban Designer, multidisciplinary design firm
Below is a snapshot of employers who hire GSD graduates and interns:
- Economic Development: Inter American Development Bank, Jiaming Investment Group, Metropolitan Area Planning Council, NY City Economic Development Corp.
- Consulting: ARUP, Asakura Robinson, Deloitte, KPMG, URS Corp., McKinsey & Company, VHB
- Design: AECOM, SOM, Raimi + Associates, Tsoi Kobus Design, ZGF Architects
- Government: Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), Cambridge Housing Authority, EPA, U.S. Govt. GSA, City of Chicago, New York City Dept. of Housing Preservation & Development, Urban Redevelopment Authority
- Transportation: Federal Highway Administration, Illinois Dept. of Transportation, John A. Volpe National Transportation Systems Center
- Real Estate: AIG Real Estate, BlueWave Capital LLC, EYA LLC, Hines, Jonathan Rose, Primary Development LLC, The Schochet Company
- Nonprofit: Affordable Housing Assoc., Community Housing Partnership, Crossover Community Impact, Inc., Homeowners RehabPreservation of Affordable Housing
Additional Resources for Urban Planners
Occupational Outlook Handbook for Urban and Regional Planners
Job Search Resources: Planning, Urban Design, Real Estate