AN Interior Magazine and the Architect’s Newspaper recently announced their “Top 50 Architects 2021,” and a number of GSD faculty- and alumni-led firms are among this year’s picks. Currently in its fourth iteration, the annual Top 50 list is chosen by editors to highlight design firms working in North America at the forefront of interior design and architecture.
According to AN Interior Magazine, “The list is intentionally diverse by firm size, reputation (many are quite young, while others have been leading the pack for decades), demographics, geographic location in North America (including Mexico and Canada), and type of work—everything from large public and institutional projects to single-family homes and installations.”
Faculty-led firms on the list include Dash Marshall, a multidisciplinary design studio co-founded by Design Critic in Architecture Ritchie Yao (MArch ’07), Bryan Boyer (MArch ’08), and Amy Yang. The practice, which is featured for the second year in a row, operates at the intersection of architecture, interiors, and civic strategy, believing that “architecture and interiors, buildings and cities can be better. Not only should they be more inspired and joyous, but they should help us live, work, and play more effectively.”
OMA New York, founded by Professor in Practice of Architecture and Urban Design Rem Koolhaas, was also recognized. Among the firm’s current projects is the 11th Street Bridge Park design, which is led by OMA partner Jason Long (MArch ’04) with associate Yusef Ali Dennis.
Other GSD-affiliated studios to make the list include:
- Architecture Research Office, led by Stephen Cassell (MArch ’92)
- BLDGS, led by David Yocum (MArch ’97) and Brian Bell (MArch ’97)
- FUSTER + Architects, founded by Dr. Nathaniel Fúster (MAUD ’96, DDes ’99)
- IwamotoScott Architecture, founded by Lisa Iwamoto (MArch ’93) and Craig Scott (MArch ’94)
- Kwong Von Glinow Design Office, founded by Lap Chi Kwong (MArch ’13) and Alison Von Glinow (MArch ’13)
- Low Design Office, founded by Ryan Bollom (MArch ’09) and DK Osseo-Asare (MArch ’09)
- Snøhetta, led by Alan Gordon (MArch ’82)
- Spiegel Aihara Workshop, founded by Daniel Spiegel (MArch ’08) and Megumi Aihara (MLA ’07)
- Stayner Architects, founded by Christian Stayner (MArch ’08)
- Utile Design, led by Matthew Littell (MArch ’97)
- WRNS Studio, founded by Bryan Shiles (MArch ’87)