This Convergence marks the formation of a regional network of equity-focused design-centric student groups focused on re-imagining the intersection between identity and design. We hope that this event can be the start of a wide-spread dialogue about the importance of identity-based discourse in the practice and pedagogy of design of the built environment, as well as an opportunity to form a network of equity-focused design-student groups and merge these ongoing conversations in our disciplines.
We hope to seize the opportunity to grow and merge the many individual conversations about gender and other identity-based discrimination happening in our disciplines and in our schools. The SAM list did not tell us anything we did not already know; however, it did spark broad conversation where there had been uneasy silence. The Convergence breaks that silence, and invites us to engage in a collective restructuring of the design disciplines and actively question the nature of design work as it intersects with gender and other personal identities.
We have had so much enthusiasm for the event that we are adding a ‘last chance’ ticket type. With this ticket, a workshop spot, breakfast, and lunch are not guaranteed, but attendance at all other events is welcome!
All events will take place in Gund Hall.
Friday, November 2nd
5:00pm Keynote Speaker: Jha D, Senior Associate, MASS Design Group* – Piper Auditorium
Saturday, November 3rd
All Day Installation Build Exhibits – Gund Ground Floor
8:00 am Check-in – Gund Lobby
8:30 am Light Breakfast – Porticos
9:30 am Panel Discussion: Power* – Piper Auditorium
- Stephanie Lee (Spaceus; M.Arch Cand., MIT)
- Amber N. Wiley (Asst. Prof. of Art History, Rutgers)
- Chandra Rouse (GSD AASU; MUP Cand., GSD Meral Ekincioglu Fellow, MIT)
- Teresa Gali-Izard (Arquitectura Agronomia; Assoc. Prof. of LA, GSD)
- Bryony Roberts (Bryony Roberts Studio; Visiting Prof., GSAPP)
10:45 am Workshops
- Identity Workshop by Rosetta Lee – Piper Auditorium
- Masculinities Workshop by Andrew Westover – Room 124
- Intersectionality Workshop by Sa-Kiera Hudson – Porticos 122 & 123
12:00 pm Lunch – Porticos
1:15 pm Panel Discussion: Pedagogy* – Piper Auditorium
- Abby Spinak (Lecturer, UP+D, GSD)
- Sonja Dumpelmann (Assoc. Prof. of LA, GSD)
- Hansy Better Barraza (Professor, Dept. of Arch., RISD; BR+A+CE, Studio Luz Architects)
- Sai Balakrishnan (Asst. Prof. of UP, GSD)
- Andrea Merrett (PhD Cand., GSAPP; Architexx)
- Ang Li (Asst. Prof., Northeastern SoA)
2:30 pm Pecha Kucha – Piper Auditorium
4:15 pm Panel Discussion: Activism* – Piper Auditorium
- Jeana Dunlap (Loeb Fellow; Louisville Metro Redevelopment Strategies)
- Jen Grosso (SOM; Architexx)
- Jess Myers (Writer; Strategist; Editorial Consultant Here There Be Dragons Podcast)
- Peggy Deamer (Architecture Lobby; Prof. of Arch., YSoA)
- Maya Harakawa (PhD Cand., CUNY)
- Sasha Costanza-Chock (Scholar; Activist; Mediamaker; Assoc. Prof. of Civic Media, MIT)
5:30 pm Collaborative Installation Build
Happy Hour – Piper Auditorium
*Live streaming of event.
Anyone requiring accessibility accommodations should contact the Public Programs Office at (617) 496-2414 or [email protected].